Cracked heels are a common foot problem. In a survey over 20 percent of adults in the United States experience cracked skin on their feet. This can occur in both adults and children, and seems to affect women more often than men. (Women tend to wear less comfortable shoes….Fashion over function, right ladies?)
- Keep your feet in lukewarm water with epsom salt for up to 20 minutes.
- Use a loofah, foot scrubber or pumice stone to remove any hard, thick skin.
- Gently pat your feet dry.
- Apply a heel balm or thick moisturizer to the affected area. These balms contain ingredients to moisturize, soften, and exfoliate dead skin. Look for the following ingredients;
- Salicylic acid
- alpha-hydroxy acids
- saccharide isomerate
- Put on socks to avoid spreading any lotion around.